Skunks may be problematic mostly because of the dreadful odor. For some, it is so bad it is nauseating. If you have a skunk in and around your yard, you are going to want to eliminate it.
Like many pest problems, you need to start figuring out exactly what attracted the skunk to your yard in the first place. There are numerous things that you can do to stop this and keep the skunks away. Here are the most effective strategies to keep skunks from coming around your property.
1. Keep nuts and berries off the ground. These can be an attractive food source for skunks and other insects should you don’t.
2. Do away with your leaf piles. You will find bugs in these that skunks will come to your lawn to eat.
3. Seal up your garbage cans. Be confident that there is a lid and seal on these. Skunks and other pests find food on your garbage, so do what you can to keep them out.
4. Avoid leaving pet food out that can be accessed by skunks or other creatures.
5. Protect your compost bins from being tampered with. Keeping lids on these or at least a few inches of cover will probably work best to keep the skunks out.
6. Use a flood light. Motion sensor products are one of the better methods for eliminating a skunk in the lawn and a flood light is very effective. Skunks do not like being exposed in the light. This will deter them away to some other area that’s darker.
7. Use a sprinkler as another motion sensor apparatus. This will send a gentle burst of water which will scare the skunk. After awhile the skunk should get the message.
8. Additionally, there are skunk repellents that you can purchase. It’s best to use repellents that mimic a skunk’s predators. This will intimidate skunks and help keep them away.
9. Call Alpharetta Animal Control to assist with trapping.